Skip to main content
Georgia Tech History Digital Portal

A. French Textile Building

In 1897, the Legislature of Georgia agreed to donate $10,000 to fund a school of textiles, as long as it was matched by $10,000 in donations from Georgia Tech patrons. The textiles department exceeded their goals and completed the building in 1898, partly due to a huge donation by Aaron French, after whom the building was named. The building was renovated in 1949, and although it is no longer used for textiles, it is still houses various administrative offices.

In 1897, the Legislature of Georgia agreed to donate $10,000 to fund a school of textiles, as long as it was matched by $10,000 in donations from Georgia Tech patrons. The textiles department exceeded their goals and completed the building in 1898, partly due to a huge donation by Aaron French, after whom the building was named. The building was renovated in 1949, and although it is no longer used for textiles, it is still houses various administrative offices.