Pickrick (Ajax) Building
In February 1965, Lester Maddox, owner of the Pickrick Cafeteria, closed the doors to his establishment rather than serve African Americans under the desegregation provisions of the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Later in the year, Georgia Tech purchased the restaurant with the intention of converting it into the Ajax Student Placement Center. The structure, built in 1947, was demolished in 2008.
Read the Historic Structure Report for the Pickrick (Ajax) Building.
Read the Environmental Effects Report for the Pickrick (Ajax) Building.